Big Bear 2 X 12
2 X 12 Mtb Bike Relay Race and Mountain Top Festival
Big Bear Lake Camplands and Trail Center will host the 7th annual 2 X 12 Mtb Bike Relay Race and Mountain Top Festival on June 11, 2016. It will include the 2 x 12 race & live foot stomping mountain music. Racing will be on a 12 mile technical single track loop in which duo teams compete in a relay style race. Open classes (pro/expert) will compete in duo teams and will ride 3 laps per person. Sport classes will compete in duo teams and will ride 2 laps per person. We also offer the 2ForFun class that consists of duo teams that will ride 1 lap per person. This class is perfect for families, competitive coworkers, or anybody who just wants to experience racing mountain bikes and likes having FUN!
The Mountain Top Venue will open up at 1pm on Friday. Come early to set up camp or get in a good ride!
Race Start . . . 2x12 begins promptly at 10:00 am Saturday morning!
License Required: WVMBA yearly membership or $5 one day WVMBA membership per person (can be purchased on BikeReg or will be charged at packet pickup after verification).
Online pre-registration go HERE
**** We are offering a $10 off per person early registration discount through 05/11/16, find a date - get registered!****
+++ More deals for pre-registered racers ONLY - Black Bear Burritos will be providing a post race meal (additional tickets can be purchased through BikeReg). These meals will be prepared and delivered to the race - so pre-order only. There will be other food vendors onsite during and after the race to purchase food.+++
A flour tortilla packed with melted cheddar cheese, romaine lettuce, fresh spring greens, Roma tomato, roasted corn from the cob and a mild Cajun mayo. Each pre-registered racer gets a CHOICE of antibiotic free, all natural chicken or grilled organic tofu. Each wrap is bagged individually with a side of fresh fried tortilla chips and house made mild salsa.
Full entry fees: Open classes (Pro/Ex) $85 per person, Sport classes $75 per person, and 2ForFun class will be $50 per person.
On site registration Friday June 10 from 1:00 pm to 9:00pm, $10 late fee (per team) applies on Friday.
Race Day Registration until 9:00 am, $20 late fee (per team) applies
2x12 Awards . . . $6000 Guaranteed
- Male Duo open = 1st place team $1,200; 2nd $500; 3rd $300
- Coed open = 1st place team $1200, 2nd $500, 3rd $300
- Single Speed duo open = 1st place team $1200, 2nd $500, 3rd $300
- Sport classes and open classes will receive a handmade stein at least 3 places deep.
- 2ForFun prizes will be awarded for best dressed team & best team name. Lets have FUN with this and get creative!
- Awards Ceremony will start between 6:30 - 7:00 pm or ASAP. Must be present to recieve CASH & AWARDS!
Duo male open
Duo coed open
Duo single speed
Duo male sport
Duo female sport
Duo Coed Sport
Duo male vet sport 35+
Duo male masters sport 45+
Duo male grand masters sport 55+
Duo Clydesdale (200+ lbs each)
2ForFun class (all age and gender combos)
* All age classifications are based on the age of each racer as of December 31st of the current year. The minimum age for racing is 12.
The Big Bear 2x12 Kids Race
A true single track course for the younger racers and an easier course for the wee ones.
Free for all kids! Sign up at 4:00pm, Starts at 5:00pm and awards at 6:00pm.
All kid racers will receive a medal thanks to the Sponsorship of Jeff Smith Insurance, Inc. (Products underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Affiliated Companies. Life Insurance issued by Nationwide Life Insurance Company.)
Classes: Junior 14 & under 3 half mile laps, Kids 12 & under 2 laps, Kids Beginner 1 lap, Wee Ones 1 wee lap
** Random drawing for 6 x $25 cash cards. All kids entered in the race are eligible! Also Sponsored by Jeff Smith Insurance**
Big Bear Lake Camplands
450 Big Bear Lake Road, Bruceton Mills, WV 26525
To get to Big Bear Lake take I-68 to the Hazelton Exit (WV exit 29) and go south (left if you are coming on I-68 West, right if you are coming on I-68 East). Follow this road 3 miles to the guard shack at Big Bear Lake. Please be careful using GPS as they have gotten people lost in the past. Stay on the main road off of the Interstate, you can't miss the entrance that way!
- Camping will be avaialbe Friday (at 1:00pm) and Saturday night on top of the mountain
- Free camping & music for competitors
- $10 per person for general admission (includes camping & music)
- It is FREE to come spectate the race and/or participate in the kids race
Local favorites The Halftime String Band will start around 8:00pm and runs late.
Food service will be offered on Saturday.
Each team must have a first rider designated to start the race. They must check in at the timing table at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the race. They will receive their baton for the first lap when they check-in. The race will start at the bottom of the entrance road with racers sprinting up the graveled road and through the start/finish tent. There will not be a Le-Mans start.
The first rider from each team must attend the 9:30 pre-race meeting. All racers are encouraged to attend.
Big Bear Lake Camplands, iPlayOutside.com, Dirt Rag, WVMBA
Pathfinder, Wamsley Cycles, High Mountain Sports
Jeff Smith Insurance, Inc.
Special Race Rules
1. Sport classes may have no more than one expert per duo team. If a protest is filed a sport team may be disqualified if both riders have previously competed as expert riders in a mountain biking event.
2. The race course start will close at 5:30 pm. No riders will be permitted to start a new lap regardless of number of laps completed.
3. Each team rider must carry a baton to be passed to the next rider. The baton must be handed to the timing official between laps to be scored. Any racer requesting a replacement baton for a lost baton will be issued a replacement after a 5 minute holding penalty.
4. Each team rider must complete the specified number of laps. Open (Pro/Ex) class riders must complete 3 laps each, sport class riders must complete 2 laps each, and beginner (FUN) class must complete 1 lap each. Laps may be ran consecutively (racers may complete 2 laps and then teammate may complete the next 2 laps) however, you must pass the baton to the timing official to be scored for the lap.
5. It is the team's responsibility to verify that each racer is logged-in and logged-out correctly. Race officials may request to see your race number on your back or your handlebar at any time. When the next racer receives the baton from the timing official, they should repeat their team # and name.
6. In the event of imminent danger due to weather or another extenuating circumstance the race director may call the race and close the course. No racers will be permitted to start any additional laps after the course is closed. Final results will be based on finishing position of the last racer on the course at the time of the closure.
7. Racers must display their race number on the outer most layer of clothing and display the bike handlebar number on the front of their bikes, whenever on course. No modifications may be made to the number plate.
General Racing Rules
8. Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse. All racers are expected to understand and comply with these rules.
9. Racers must complete each lap on the same bicycle they used to start the lap.
10. While on course racers must perform their own bike repairs. Racers on course are permitted to take tubes, air, tools, etc. from other racers or support. Racers not on course, may accept help for bike repairs, but racers must finish on the bike that they used to start the race.
11. Food and water can be taken from anyone, anywhere on the course.
12. Racers taking food or water must not impede the progress of other racers.
13. Racers riding bicycles have the right of way over racers pushing bicycles. When practical, racers pushing should yield the most rideable portion of the trail when being passed.
14. A racer pushing or carrying his or her bicycle can overtake a racer riding his bicycle provided that it does not interfere with the riding racer.
15. Riders must alert those they are passing (lapping) vocally using the announcements "PASSING on your LEFT (RIGHT)!" or "TRACK LEFT (RIGHT)!" It is the responsibility of the passing rider to overtake safely. Riders being lapped must yield at the first reasonable opportunity.
16. When two riders are vying for position, the leading rider does not necessarily have to yield position to the challenging rider. However, a rider may not bodily interfere, intending to impede another rider's progress; this is considered to be highly unsportsmanlike behavior.
17. Short-cutting the course by any racer shall result in a disqualification7
18. Foul riding, use of profane or abusive language and other unsportsmanlike behavior will be taken very seriously. Such behavior by any racer shall result in a warning or disqualification. This will be strictly applied when such behavior is directed at course officials, volunteers or spectators. The penalty imposed is at the discretion of the race director.
19. Federal, state and county laws and ordinances will be abided by at all times.
20. Only riders officially registered in the event or persons designated by the promoter should ride on the racecourse during the event.
21. Protests can be made only by registered racers. Protests will be made in writing and delivered to the race director any time after the end of the race, up to 30 minutes after the posting of the final results. Protests should contain any information that supports the protest, including description of the incident, witnesses, names, addresses, phone numbers and signature of protestor. A $25 fee shall be submitted, in cash, with the protest. The race director, after his own discovery, will promptly rule on the protest. The fee will be forfeited to the race director if the protest is denied or refunded if the protest is upheld.
22. The race director has the final say in any ruling.
23. Wearing of a helmet is mandatory while warming-up for, or racing in, any WVMBA sanctioned event.
24. Bicycles shall be in good repair with both front and back brakes in good working order.
25. Violation of any of the above rules may result in disqualification
High Mountain Sports
Morgantown Brewing Co.